Pages

Friday, June 17, 2016

Every Buddy Leaves


The corner joining east and north?
How do you like the light?
I know it's not the grocery store
But somebody had to buy you
You're the most I could afford
You'll fit in here alright
I'm not as glowing anymore
And you're not one to lie to
I chose you to replace a corpse
I begged to never leave me
Suppose that nature takes it's course
You'd better take it easy
Leaves of every feather wear
And weather under weakness
I'll keep you in my sweetest prayers
Together we can beat this
Pretend it's like you dreamt it'd be
Rest and save your strength
Anticipate a remedy
Surrender to your faith
I'll tend your stems and roots and twigs
And sing to lift your slump
But in the end, there's something bigger
Limiting and glum
Sitting where you sit has sat
A hundred other jokes
The hypoestes didn't laugh
The lilies didn't float
There's flowers in the windowsill
They're next in line to die
You bet your life on it, they will
You're next to see the sky
A breeze is just beyond the wall
It easily could bend you
The trees on the tree lawn are tall
But too deep to defend you
There's peaches in the kitchen
For eating with regret
I screamed each time I bit them
Believe me, I'm upset
Every seed's a precious child
Every weed's a friend
Those are people in the compost pile
With beetles in their heads
I drove them to the hospital
Then wheeled them out back
I'll grow whatever's possible
And seal it in a sack
Perhaps you'll be a miracle
A magic that withstands
Alas, but if my fears unfurl
The sap is on my hands
There's bandages for patching up
And syrup for the pain
It all goes down the hatch, my love
It's perfectly humane
There's dirt stains on the carpet
The furnace peels the paint
The curtains never part
But the service here is great
A room for soiled clothing
And scolding healing tubs
With slews of doily throw things
Adhering to the rust
I trust it suits your fickle fancy
The corner and used throne?
You must excuse my little rant, please
Enjoy your brand new home!






No comments:

Post a Comment